Re: [SLE] Streaming Radio
  • From: Peter Vollebregt <peter.vollebregt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:02:29 +0200
Erik Jakobsen wrote:
> Ken Schneider wrote:
>> xmms plus the xmms-plugins should work as well.
> How is the radio-URL opened in XMMS ?
> Erik Jakobsen

There is a page that lists alternative URL's

Basic thing that you need to do is to make your browser aware of the
fact that these links should fire xmms (or another app that understands
shoutcast links - like kaffeine)

Click on one of the .pls links in mozilla or firefox
mozilla and firefox tell me that they recognize this as a Audio
Playlist and will offer to open it.
- My Mozilla plugins library also includes a realplayer plugin link but
realplayer will actually error out. So i entered an alternative 'Open it
with' /usr/bin/xmms and with 'OK' off you go.
- Firefox offers xmms directly but i can't remember how i got this to work.

With mozilla you can set this up directly as a helper application (i
miss this really with firefox)
edit -> preferences -> navigator -> helper aplications
file type (Mime type) is: audio/x-mpegurl
extension m3u,pls
open it with: /usr/bin/xmms
check always 'ask me before handling' (i like to be asked)

Note I also have this working with konqueror (also via xmms)
The problem with konqueror is plugin handling. It took a long time until
i understood this a litle.
Actually konqueror is loking to too many plugin directories and crashes
on a lot of mime types due to this.
What i did is that i reduced this to just mozilla's plugins and
realplayer 10. Or to be exact:

Peter Vollebregt