Re: [SLE] Streaming Radio
  • From: Peter Vollebregt <peter.vollebregt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:02:29 +0200
Erik Jakobsen wrote:
> Ken Schneider wrote:

>> xmms plus the xmms-plugins should work as well.
> How is the radio-URL opened in XMMS ?
>
> Erik Jakobsen

Erik,

There is a page that lists alternative URL's
http://www.dr.dk/netradio/alternativ/
Like http://www.dr.dk/netradio/alternativ/pls-filer/p3-64.pls

Basic thing that you need to do is to make your browser aware of the
fact that these links should fire xmms (or another app that understands
shoutcast links - like kaffeine)

Click on one of the .pls links in mozilla or firefox
mozilla and firefox tell me that they recognize this as a Audio
Playlist and will offer to open it.
- My Mozilla plugins library also includes a realplayer plugin link but
realplayer will actually error out. So i entered an alternative 'Open it
with' /usr/bin/xmms and with 'OK' off you go.
- Firefox offers xmms directly but i can't remember how i got this to work.

With mozilla you can set this up directly as a helper application (i
miss this really with firefox)
edit -> preferences -> navigator -> helper aplications
file type (Mime type) is: audio/x-mpegurl
extension m3u,pls
open it with: /usr/bin/xmms
check always 'ask me before handling' (i like to be asked)

Note I also have this working with konqueror (also via xmms)
The problem with konqueror is plugin handling. It took a long time until
i understood this a litle.
Actually konqueror is loking to too many plugin directories and crashes
on a lot of mime types due to this.
What i did is that i reduced this to just mozilla's plugins and
realplayer 10. Or to be exact:
/opt/mozilla/lib/plugins
/usr/local/HelixPlayer/mozilla
$MOZILLA_HOME/plugins