Re: [SLE] problems with Iomega Zip drives in Suse 9.2
  • From: Doug B <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:05:26 -0600
On Monday 31 January 2005 08:55 pm, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > The oddest thing about all of this is that, when I list the
> > directory /dev, there is no entry of the form hdd4. Every other
> > possible hdd# is there, but hdd4 is missing. However, this is the
> > right partition for a vfat formatted zip disk.
>
> It really should be there. You could recreate it. My 9.1 has:
>
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 68 2004-08-15 14:00 /dev/hdd4

Hi Carlos,

For whatever reason with 9.2, SuSE doesn't create the device hdx4 where
the zip drive is attached. Mine is /dev/hdb and there is no /dev/hdb4.
Several people have reported this on various list/forums.

When I first started looking for an answer, I found the suggestion to
create the /dev/hdx4. They put a script in boot.local to do this every
boot. It didn't work for me

Some reformatted the disks with linux filesystems and mounted at hdx1.
I couldn't use that because I share the disks between my home linux box
and work windows box.

I played around with mounting at partition 4 (as in all other
distros/releases I've used) then tried 1, 2, and 3 with no luck. I
don't know why I tried hdx with (no partition) but it worked!

I haven't had the time or desire to find out why this is. I probably
wouldn't understand it anyway.

Doug