Re: [SLE] USB to serial Cable under SuSE 9.2
  • From: Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 01:16:13 +0000
Paul Penrod wrote:
Folks,

I'm a bit stumped here and hope someone has seen this before.

I just bought a USB->serial cable from PCClub. It's advertised
as a USB 2.0 Certified Interface (usbview diagrees with that), and
SuSE does recognize it, but I can not get minicom to talk to it.
When I set it to /dev/ttyUSB0 or any USB tagged port, it comes
back and complains that the port is not found.

I have it plugged into the top USB slot of the laptop.

What I need it for is to configure telecom equipment that uses
serial ports for the interface (VT100 9600/N/8/1). I've been playing
with this for about a day and need to move on or get it to work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll even buy a different cable if
there is one proven to work.

Thanks,

...Paul

Here are the particulars:

OS SuSE 9.2 (updated 1/31/05 from the Chicago Site).
Kernel: Stock SuSE 2.6.8-24.11
Computer: IBM Thinkpad T42p 1GB memory, 60GB disk

USBview output:
USB SERIAL CANSERTOR
Manufacturer: FIDI
Serial Number: FTBT8RZI
Speed: 12 MB/sec (full)
USB Version: 1.10
Device Class: 00 (>ifc)
Device Subclass: 00
Device Protocol: 00
Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 8
Number of Configurations: 1
Vendor ID: 0403
Product ID: 6001
Revision Number: 4.00
Configuration Number: 1
Number of Interfaces: 1
Attributes: a0
Max Power Needed: 44 mA
Interface Number: 0
Name: (none)
Alternate Number: 0
Class: ff (vend)
Subclass: 0
Protocol: 0
Number of Endpoints: 2
End Point Address: 81
Direction: in
Attribute: 2
Type: Bulk
Max Packet Size: 64
Interval: 0 ms
End Point Address: 02
Direction: out
Attribute: 2
Type: Bulk
Max Packet Size: 64
Interval: 0 ms

There must be a module associated with this, for my Prolific technology PL2303, two modules pl2303 and usbserial are insmod. Looking in the .config here, I don't see yours supported, you may need to get it swapped for one that is supported.
# USB Serial Converter support
#
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC=y
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_BELKIN is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_WHITEHEAT is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_DIGI_ACCELEPORT is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_CYPRESS_M8 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_EMPEG is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_VISOR is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_IPAQ is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_IR is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_EDGEPORT is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_EDGEPORT_TI is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_IPW is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_PDA is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KLSI is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KOBIL_SCT is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_MCT_U232 is not set
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_PL2303=m
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_SAFE is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_CYBERJACK is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_XIRCOM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_OMNINET is not set
Regards
Sid.

--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and Keen Flyer
=====ALMOST ALL LINUX USED HERE, Solaris 10 SPARC is just for play=====