Re: [SLE] What's a good cheap business video card that works well with Linux?
  • From: Preston Crawford <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 08:14:34 -0800
On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 16:24 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > The puzzling thing is that it doesn't exhibit this problem with my
> > on-board video card.
>
> That could simply be because when driven by that video circuitry the
> frequencies and timings are different and they do not produce the same
> electrodynamic stresses on the the monitor's inductive components (the
> flyback transformer, e.g.).
>
> Are all the basic sweep paremeters the same between the two graphics
> adaptors? That is, the horizontal and vertical resolution and, very
> importantly, the vertical refresh rate.

Well, I can't speak to what the two different video cards are doing in
terms of what their output is. However, when I setup each via Sax, I
make sure to put the EXACT values from the manual for the monitor,
including horizontal and vertical resolutions, etc. The funny thing is
tonight I gave the Radeon 7000 another shot. Someone mentioned that it
could just be seated wrong. So I put it in and made sure it was seated
properly, just in case something got jarred when I installed it last. So
far no problems. I'll keep you guys posted.

Preston