Re: [SLE] Linux and hardware mp3 players
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:47:07 -0800
Brad,

On Tuesday 08 February 2005 09:41, Brad Bourn wrote:
> Good information. Sounds like you have more experience than me. I
> haven't used an MP3 player that looks like a USB HD. I've heard
> though that some of them that have this feature, still doesn't allow
> you to add mp3's to the device to be played.
>
> What are you saying is debatable?

Two things:

1) MP3 players should be usable as portable hard drives for general
purpose computer use.

2) The FAT file system is a suitable basis for audio file storage on a
portable, self-contained audio player.

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd like to know more myself...

It's a big hairy issue and, of course, rather subjective. It regards
users expectations as they often conflict with design considerations
for these two classes of devices.

> B-)

Randall Schulz