Re: [SLE] Totally baffled by NVIDIA.
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:09:22 -0800
Hi,

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 17:25, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Wednesday 2005-02-09 at 02:04 -0500, Allen wrote:
> > > It may be possible for a third party to subscribe somebody, if
> > > that somebody has an autoresponder.
> >
> > If he has an auto responder saying "subscribe SUSE Linux E" .....
> > Don't think so man.
>
> Not really.
>
> Suppose 'A' wants to subscribe 'B'. He just sends an email to
> "test-list-subscribe at suse.com", for example. The list server sends
> an email to 'B', who has an autoresponder that answers with "an out
> of office" reply to every single post.

Possibly a factor in this particular incident is the existence of a
web-based form on the offended party's business Web site that allows
one to send him mail. Perhaps there's a way it got manipulated into
perpetrating this unsolicited subscription.

Just a hunch, I have no idea if it's feasible or even possible to
accomplish such a thing, but it was the first thing I thought of when I
looked into his on-line presence.

Of course, we don't even know the address at which he was receiving the
offending posts, only the one from which he sent his irate complaints
to us.

> --
> Cheers,
> Carlos Robinson