Re: [SLE] How to avoid copying/scanning printed paper ?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:00:54 -0800
Franky,

On Friday 18 February 2005 05:51, Franky Goethals wrote:
> Hi Randall,
>
> I just want to avoid that somebody can copy / scan my presentation
> that i will be giving, more not.
>
> If there exist other possibilities to do this... i'm open for other
> solutions. I've done this once by a sort of special watermark, but
> under windows. Is a normal watermark sufficent ?

Ummm... Maybe. What do you mean by "special watermark" and "normal
watermark?"

As you may know, the real, original meaning of "watermark" refers to a
density modulation in the fibers of a piece of paper itself. To see
such a watermark you may have to hold the paper up to back lighting. As
so often happens, the computer world has appropriated the term for a
vaguely similar but distinct concept: A printed image, usually in an
grayed-out form, that is printed on each page to indicate the document
is "Confidential" or "Preliminary" or to include some kind of
proprietary marking.

The OpenOffice.org word processor allows you to specify an arbitrary
graphic image to be used as the watermark for any given document. Start
it up, open the on-line documentation and search for "watermark" and
you'll see how to do it (hint: Select from the Format menu the Page...
command and change the pop-up from "Color" to "Graphic"). The OOo
graphic editor has commands that will take a fully saturated graphic
and dim it for use as a watermark image. You should find that, too,
when you search in the on-line documentation.

> Kind regards,
> Franky.

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >