Re: [SLE] Duelling SAMBAs - quick questions?
  • From: Jonathan Brooks <jonathan.brooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:13:53 +0000
Am I right in thinking that the only time you'd really want to use
SAMBA is if you have to support windows boxes? Can CUPS share printers
round the network without SAMBA?

Say you use NFS for networking - what are the issues for security of
data etc? As far as I know nothing is encrypted with NFS, so it's fairly
easy to spy on these machines, also aren't there well know exploits that
make use of holes in NFS?

So I guess my question is: is there a relatively secure network file
system for use on a small network, that doesn't require that you put
all the computers behind a firewall?

Cheers, Jon.

Örn Einar Hansen wrote:
Þann Mánudagur 03 janúar 2005 04:51 skrifaði elefino:

Also, on a newly installed SuSE 9.2 system, is there any reason why YaST
should not be completely sufficient to get SAMBA working?

Depends on what you want samba to do, if I remember correctly then YaST doesn't have the "tools" to setup samba as a PDC, or BDC. Or to use LDAP as an auth server. For that, you need SLES or to edit the files directly.

That is, is there any possible setup parameter for SAMBA that would need me to edit the
files directly?

Yes.

I haven't even considered printing yet; just file/directory shares, so this config must be about as simple as it gets for SAMBA, right?

If you have the printer on the same machine as samba, then I don't think you need to do anything. The default samba, exports the printcap file and thus it's ready to accept printing ... unless the rights aren't correctly setup by default, then you'd need to edit the configuration. Adding file shares is simple, YaST can handle that easily.

You don't need to do anything to make samba a server, as all samba machines are servers ... only thing you need to do, is to add shares in YaST. And it's also appropriate to have the workgroup the same for both samba machines, it simplifies browsing. Just setup a different netbios name for each machine.

Kevin

PS: Referring to a recent thread with my name on it --I installed a newer
hub/router, and yes the DHCP server in my old one was broken ...