Re: [SLE] Help with new printer
  • From: Doug B <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:29:27 -0600
On Monday 03 January 2005 05:59 pm, David Johanson wrote:
> Doug B wrote:
> > My only experience here is with jet direct type printers, but worth
> > a try.
> >
> > yast > undetected configure > print directly to network printer >
> > direct tcp printing > Let it try to look up a host name. If it
> > doesn't find it, try putting it's ip address > port 9100 > Name it
> > (fields here are whatever you want) and I do local filtering >
> > Select manufacturer and model (hopefully it will be there.... if
> > not someone else will have to help with that) >configure printer
> > settings (I have test printer fail here but the printer still work
> > from apps) > OK
> >
> > With luck, that will do it! Then again, yours may set up entirely
> > different.
> >
> > Have fun!
> > Doug
>
> Doug & Graham -
>
> Thanks for the suggestion(s). It's at the point where you mention
> typing in the printers address that I have the problem. I'm currently
> using DHCP so there is no permanent address at the moment, if I
> understand this stuff correctly, and I very well may not.

It is the printers ip address you want. Did you try letting yast
"lookup" the printer?

In your original post, you said it had it's own ip address. As someone
else mentioned, you may need to change the printers ip if that ip isn't
in your network. For instance, if your ip is 192.168.1.15 with a
subnet of 255.255.255.0, the printer will need in address 192.168.1.xxx
(where xxx is from 1 and 254).

Doug