Re: [SLE] Help with new printer
  • From: David Johanson <dcjohan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:28:06 -0500

Graham Smith wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:44, David Johanson wrote:

Well, it's truly amazing what you can find once you get to the correct
buried .pdf file and peruse through all 300+ pages of it. Buried in the
middle is a discussion of HOW to assign an ip address to the printer, (I
chose 192.168.0.6) which, when done, allows for communication with the
printer.

So now SuSE 9.2 can communicate with the printer and when asking for a text
only output prints out a single sheet which reads:
"This is the YaST2 ASCI test page
Das ist die YaST2 ASCII Testseite
Toto je ascii"
across the page. However, trying to print out either graphic page, with or
without photo, gives "%!" on the first line, "% license and copyright: SUSE
Linux AG - YaST License" on the second line, and "% author: Johannes
Meixne" on the third line, sans quotes of course. Then that page is
followed by page after page of blank paper.

Much progress in that we can now communicate and print text, but not sure
as to the next step in getting the graphical stuff to print. Again, any
suggestions greatly appreciated.

Looks like your ppd driver is wrong. Someone mentioned the printer supports the PCL5c Language. I suggest you try setting the printer model to HP4 and trying the different drivers.

Playing around tonight showed mt that the printer is setup as "local raw printer" and running under cups. Not quite sure how to change this raw aspect without the proper driver set. I haven't yet tried changing the model to something from H-P but I'll play with that after chow.

Also you may have to dive into that 300+ page pdf file and see if there is anything about switching/changing to PCL5c or HP emulation mode. They might give you information on the model of the printer it emulates. If that is the case use that model when configuring your printer with Yast.

I have spent some time with that 300 page tome as well as the 163 page one devoted to printing; 133 pages for windows/mac and 7 for unix. However, it specifically discusses only solaris 2.6, 2.3x-2.5x, HP-UX 9.x and 10.x, AIX 4.x.x, and BSD Unix. I need to see what I can get from those few pages but it's mainly text file stuff and for that I need to do a bit more study.

More later after playing some with what I currently have available, sparse as it is.

Thanks for the suggestions.

dave

--
David C. Johanson