Hints on using SuseFirewall2.
  • From: Colin Murphy <Colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 18:26:14 +0000
I have a P100 running Suse 8.2 as a router/firewall.

A recent addition to my home network is a Playstation 2 network adaptor. Some
of the games for this require certain ports to be open, something I've not
had to play around with before. As an example, The Sim's needs the
following :-

* TCP 11100-11199
* UDP 3658
* UDP 3659
* UDP 6000
* UDP 6001

Am I right in thinking that that the lines:-

FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP="10090:10071 11100:11199 123 13505 http https ssh"

FW_SERVICES_EXT_UDP="3658:3659 6000 6001"

are all that are needed in the file /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 ? This is
how I have left it after configuring it in Yast.

The problem in the game, assuming anyone here has experience of Online Sim's
playing, is that the online session starts but the servers 'appear' to be
empty, which makes the game much less fun - according to my daughters;-)

I am having another problem with EverQuest, also on PS2, where I can get the
game running but am having problems registering details and I am only finding
one server with zero population. I mention it here purely in an act of
'grasping at straws'.

Is there any way, from the command line, that I can prove to myslef that the
ports mentioned above are open?

Thanks in advance.
--
Colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
A man for all seasons, especially pepper.