Re: [SLE] Java with Firefox
  • From: Andreas Philipp <andreas.philipp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:44:11 -0500
Tim,

El Mar 11 Ene 2005 05:02, Tim Nicholson escribió:
> > The original poster didn't tell us which version of SuSE he uses nor
> > which version of Java. I have installed JDK 1.4.2_06 downloaded from
> > Sun's website on my SuSE 8.2 box, and it goes into /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2.
>
> How very remiss of me :(

No big deal.

> SuSE 9.2, as to the version of Java well I have a forest of Java
> folders/symlinks on my system that came from I know not where but which
> all seem to end up back at /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2.sun
> in which the folders 'bin', 'javaws' and 'lib' reside.
> plugins is noticable by its absence!

As noted by Glenn in his reply to this thread, there is an article in the SuSE
Suppport Database at
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/11/wessels_javaplug92.html which will have
you install the SuSE package java-1_4_2-sun-plug-in by means of YaST2.

If you have performed a standard instalation of 9.2 on your machine, this is
probably the best way to resolve your issue. It seems as if the required
browser plug-in is simply not installed on your system. That is, the standard
installation of the SuSE supplied Java runtime on 9.2 doesn't provide the
plug-in required by Mozilla or Firefox!

> I have downloaded the 1.5.0_01 from Sun, which indeed does have the
> plug-ins, but on trying to install it with yast it warns of a conflict
> with Open Office, so I abandoned the install!

I know there are many people on this list who feel that you break a rpm-based
SuSE system by installation of software not packaged explicitly as rpm for
your SuSE distro. I don't agree with this point of view, and there is some
software I actually prefer to install from source or from a vendor binary
distribution. Sun's JDK is one of these. I have always had a good experience
downloading Sun's JDK from Sun's website and installing it on my systems. I
am currently using the 1.4.2_06 version, because it resolves some serious
security issues with the Java runtime. If you decide to install a Sun
supplied Java version, be sure to eliminate first the Java currently
installed on your system from the SuSE rpm. Then install the Sun supplied JDK
(again, 1.4.2_06 recommended). Last, do the symbolic linking as explained
before to get the plug-in working in Firefox.

Good luck!
--
Andreas Philipp
Noema Ltda.