Re: [SLE] Java with Firefox
  • From: Andreas Philipp <andreas.philipp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:44:11 -0500

El Mar 11 Ene 2005 05:02, Tim Nicholson escribió:
> > The original poster didn't tell us which version of SuSE he uses nor
> > which version of Java. I have installed JDK 1.4.2_06 downloaded from
> > Sun's website on my SuSE 8.2 box, and it goes into /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2.
> How very remiss of me :(

No big deal.

> SuSE 9.2, as to the version of Java well I have a forest of Java
> folders/symlinks on my system that came from I know not where but which
> all seem to end up back at /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2.sun
> in which the folders 'bin', 'javaws' and 'lib' reside.
> plugins is noticable by its absence!

As noted by Glenn in his reply to this thread, there is an article in the SuSE
Suppport Database at which will have
you install the SuSE package java-1_4_2-sun-plug-in by means of YaST2.

If you have performed a standard instalation of 9.2 on your machine, this is
probably the best way to resolve your issue. It seems as if the required
browser plug-in is simply not installed on your system. That is, the standard
installation of the SuSE supplied Java runtime on 9.2 doesn't provide the
plug-in required by Mozilla or Firefox!

> I have downloaded the 1.5.0_01 from Sun, which indeed does have the
> plug-ins, but on trying to install it with yast it warns of a conflict
> with Open Office, so I abandoned the install!

I know there are many people on this list who feel that you break a rpm-based
SuSE system by installation of software not packaged explicitly as rpm for
your SuSE distro. I don't agree with this point of view, and there is some
software I actually prefer to install from source or from a vendor binary
distribution. Sun's JDK is one of these. I have always had a good experience
downloading Sun's JDK from Sun's website and installing it on my systems. I
am currently using the 1.4.2_06 version, because it resolves some serious
security issues with the Java runtime. If you decide to install a Sun
supplied Java version, be sure to eliminate first the Java currently
installed on your system from the SuSE rpm. Then install the Sun supplied JDK
(again, 1.4.2_06 recommended). Last, do the symbolic linking as explained
before to get the plug-in working in Firefox.

Good luck!
Andreas Philipp
Noema Ltda.
Bogotá, D.C. - Colombia