Re: [SLE] SuSE support
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:16:00 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2005-01-12 at 10:50 -0000, Kevin Donnelly wrote:

> > However, I am
> > talking about a case where I cannot even get the software installed. Note
> > software for which I paid money. Suse 9.0 works. Suse 9.2 doesn't.
> > Formatting as an ext2fs works, an ext3fs doesn't (nor does reiser).
> > Something support has not addressed.
>
> Yes, but what you're asking for in effect is a guarantee that you can install
> SUSE without problems on any machine of your choosing. The free support
> can't do that - they can provide best efforts to try and answer your
> questions, but even then there may just be something about your machine that
> they've never come across, and couldn't sort out without a large expenditure
> of effort. The word is "support" (ie help) - there's no guarantees about it.

No, what he asked for is that the support personnel read his emails fully,
and the track report, before answering to a minor issue instead of the big
problem he was asking about. Check his first email:

|> I opened up a support request and each time I reply to what SuSE
|> support tells me to do, it is as if they did not read the whole
|> message, let alone the rest of the problem history. So, they end up
|> picking out one minor issue (such as one of 10 messages) and make some
|> comment or suggestion about that. In essence, despite having paid for
|> the software, I am no where near getting it installed. Had anyone else
|> had the same bad experience with SuSE support?

That is what he complained about, and Hartmut (A SuSE employee, or
related to them, I understand) promptly asked him for the ticket number in
order to look it up. And that is very nice of him, but I'm not sure if
James noticed that email :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson