Re: [SLE] covert mixer volume reduction
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 08:25:57 -0500
On Wednesday 01 December 2004 05:54 am, Steve Dowe wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> SUSE 9.2 and I are best friends. It's such a good friend that it
> plays little tricks on me - to keep me amused, of course.
>
> One of those tricks is to covertly reduce my sound mixer volume.
> Sometimes it's just PCM volume that goes from around 80 (my usual
> setting) to 29. Sometimes it's that and the Master volume (both to
> 29). I will reset the volume(s) to 80 through KMix (or Kamix), and
> then about 45 minutes later, cannot hear sounds for system
> notifications, for instance. Back to the mixer, change again... ad
> infinitum.
>
> I read the previous thread ("Sound Problem") and, thinking this might
> be a similar issue, followed advice in there (including following the
> steps here:
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/en/2004/05/th
>allma_91_sndsilence.html). Sadly, the problem still remains. Whilst
> my dear friend SUSE 9.2 is very close to me, its humour is becoming
> slightly irksome :)
>
> One thought I have is to stop alsa, set /etc/asound.state manually
> and changing it to read-only for root user, group and world, and then
> seeing if it sticks. But this seems, at best, a kludge... I'm afraid
> the sound system(s) in linux are not my strong point.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
============

Steve,
You actually don't have to go to the extreme measure of removing the
kdemultimedia3-mixer file from your system, as the article stated you
mentioned. All you should have to do is close kamix, if it's open,
start kmix and untick the item that resets volumes on bootup.

Of course, if your volumes are changing while booted, then I'm
suspecting you might be running some programs using sound that are
making the changes. I saw this just yesterday while working on a
customer's new 9.2 machine. One of the files started up the RealPlayer
audio player and instantly the volumes were adjusted to about half.
I've seen it occur with other programs as well.

Regards,
Lee

Registered Linux User #225206
"Don't let the fear of striking out keep
you from playing the game!"