Re: [SLE] Unexpected ssh, firefox and thunderbird behavior
  • From: Jim Sabatke <jsabatke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:32:29 -0600
Jorge Fábregas wrote:

On Thursday 02 December 2004 12:38 am, Jim Sabatke wrote:

For the record, telnet shows the same behavior as ssh.

Telnet won't set the DISPLAY variable on the remote machine. Please provide an example (command by command) on how your perform these steps in order to run the x-clients on your local X-server.

Yes, I know. For telnet I had to (displaying a X app on bandit on ripley's display):

xhosts +
telnet bandit
passwd
export DISPLAY=ripley:0.0
firefox

For ssh, simply

ssh -X user@bandit
passwd
firefox

BTW, I've been doing this forever and never had this problem before, though this is a new box.

and again, I can run other programs from the same shell that DO run properly.

Thanks,

Jim

< Previous Next >