Re: [SLE] wipe, clean, etc
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:25:06 -0500
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:17:06 -0700, Brad Bourn <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not to give Gibson Credit, but to take away M$'s
>
> If Gibson's software is willing to try more than once and/or not fail out of a
> copy if it can't read a sector, and be able to continue on at least getting
> what it can, this is already a BIG improvement over what windows does/can do.
>
> That being said, use of a real OS like GNU/Linux can get you even better
> results that Gibson's software.
>
> For the laymen, there is a value. Assuming they don't know about ubcd and the
> like. ehehehe
>
> There isn't anything more annoying than to try to do a backup in exploder, and
> have it error out somewhere in the middle and just stop, not knowing where it
> left off. If your forced to use that machine (for a client or something) the
> best you can do is xcopy /s/e/c/h/y.....
>
> Even when I was still nieve enough to use M$ crap, pkzip did a better job than
> copy or xcopy (back in the DOS days) for backing up dying harddrives.

We have to backup dieing hard-drives occasionally too.

I have not really been very impressed with the 2.4 kernel. (Have not
tried 2.6).

Believe it or not, we boot to DOS and use a commercial program called
"Encase". It is pretty expensive, so I can't recommend it for most
people, but if you are serious about data recovery it is worth
investigating.

Greg

< Previous Next >