Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (3138 mails)
|< Previous||Next >|
Comments on Upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2
- From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:14:43 -0800
- Message-id: <200412121914.46347.helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I just upgraded my AMD64 system from 9.1 to 9.2 and ran into a couple of
issues that are irritating.
1) when yast goes to perform an update right after network check, it
pre-selects a mirror that cannot be changed. I am in California, it always
pre-selects UCLA which always fails. I have never ever been able to connect
to that mirror, SuSE should either remove it from the mirror list or allow
the user to select the mirror during the install process.
2) the upgrade refused to install gimp, the error message indicated that the
md5 checksum was bad. I initially assumed there must be a media problem, but
after the upgrade, I was able to go back to yast and add gimp with no
problem. What's with that?
3) During the upgrade there is a reboot performed. That reboot must fire up
the xwindow system and maybe even kde, I'm not sure, but there was a long
long period of time where all that I had was a black screen with a busy
hourglass icon and no disk activity light or dvd activity light. Frankly, I
thought the system might be locked up or something, it lasted at least 3
minutes until yast and the continuation of the upgrade screen came on. If
there was a warning about this somewhere I sure didn't see it. Were I
slightly more impatient, I would have assumed the system was hosed and
4) I was surprised by the way the perl upgrade from 5.8.3 on 9.1 to 5.8.5 on
9.2 was handled. Apparently, none of the modules installed from CPAN under
9.1 were carried over to 5.8.5. This is real painfull, anyone have any idea
on how to painlessly update the 5.8.5 installation with the same set of
modules that were present in the 5.8.3 installation?
BTW, this was my first upgrade experience. Other than the couple of surprises
I mentioned, it was relatively painless.
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
Linux 2.6.8-24-default x86_64
|< Previous||Next >|