Re: [SLE] newbie nfs question
  • From: Louis Richards <louis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:09:22 -0500
On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 08:23, steve wrote:

> On Monday 27 December 2004 14:02, Alexandr Malusek wrote:
> > steve <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > > I want to try to run scribus and inkscape by not installing them on
> > > our clients and exporting via nfs. The binaries are in /usr/bin on
> > > our server.
> >
> > IMHO, there is no simple solution in this case.
>
> I agree. By the time you have messed around with it and found that you also
> need /usr/share and probably /opt too and your server can't cope anyway, you
> may as well have installed the stuff on the clients. I really thought that on
> a system designed for multi users it would be easier than this :-(
> Steve.

The /usr directory can be mounted read only from the server. This would
run scribus and many other apps from the server. This is what the /usr
directory is for. Clients should mount a /usr/local partition for any
"non standard" local apps.

If you do not want to export /usr, you could export a lib directory as
well as a bin directory from the server. Update the clients once to
include the shares in the path and /etc/ld.so.conf. Now copy the
binaries in the shared bin directory and use ldd to determine which libs
to copy to the lib share.

That would give you "network" apps without sharing the entire /usr
directory.

Louis Richards

< Previous Next >