Re: [SLE] Suse 9.2
  • From: "Web Developer" <webdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 03:00:12 -0000
Subject: Re: [SLE] Suse 9.2
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:23:22 -0500
From: Paul Cartwright <paul_tbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx

On Sunday 31 October 2004 11:42 am, Don Parris wrote:

<snip> I like GNOME. That's the advantage
> of GNU/Linux - choice. And that choice can be simply a matter of taste.

still, can I run Gnome without uninstalling KDE ??
I remember gnome, but it was almost 10 years ago, I'd like to see the
difference between it and KDE right now..
____________________________
Of course. Just run Yast --> Install/Remove Software. :) We've always been able to load multiple desktops in the Linux world. Most people tend to choose one or the other, and you can frequently choose one or the other to be the default. Some organizations - maybe most - run a single desktop as a means of cutting down the admin & support headaches. In 9.2, you'll have to choose the Menu (I liked the drop down menu in 8.0 much better), and then Session Type, in order to choose which desktop to login to.
____________________________

> I should say that K3B did a great job of burning on my HP CD Writer
> 9500. While it was possible under SUSE 8.0, it was really easy last
> night. Frankly, I still can't get over the automation of the
> installation. I've heard Xandros may be simpler (3-click install), but
> Yast managed my sound card, video card & montior, and my HP 970Cse
> inkjet printer (with duplex module). I did test my monitor (Cybervision
> C70) and sound card (on-board), as well as print a test page. But I'm
> so used to having to select my monitor, and the correct printer driver
> (from about 3 possiblities), that I was totally blown away by the
> auto-configuration. I've had more difficulty with Win98/XP.

I just bought a new Epson Scanner, 4180. xsane says there are no devices
available. I installed K3B, the new update, but I haven't tried a CD today,
I'm really concerned about the scanner. I bought it specifically because of
the resolution, and the fact it does slides and negatives ( not to mention
4800 DPI).
I wonder if 9.2 will recognize it..
_____________________________________
Don't know for sure on that one. Did you check that the Epson was compatible with Linux before you bought it? Don't know if it would appear on the lists yet - depends on how new it is. It probably will be recognized under 9.2, but don't take that as my guarantee. Better do some homework.
______________________________________

> I know not everyone's experience will be as easy as mine, but some may
> have it even easier. I just couldn't decide on the partitioning scheme.
I'm looking to add a /home partition myself.

> :) I would like to ask if anyone is familiar with the new /srv
>
> directory. Is that partt of the FSH/LSB or whatever standard the Linux
> vendors agreed to? I see it contains apache and somthing else. I was
> just curious as to hown new it is, and how it came to be. Does it help
> to provide better security? If so, how?

did it prompt you during the 9.2 install to create one, or how did you learn
about it??
When I was in the partitioning stage, it was in the list of filesystems that you can mount as separate partitions. It wasn't part of SUSE 8.0, so it was new to me. I've read the FHS, but guess mine was outdated. See Anders' comments on this one. The link he included explains it fairly well. It doesn't state the motive, but explains the purpose.

Regards,
Don
--
Web Developer