Re: [SLE] Windows backups to a Linux server
  • From: jalal <the_jalal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:46:11 +0100
On Tue 2 November 2004 10:11, jalal wrote:
> I have a client who is using Windows XP and wants to backup his files
> (preferably automatically) to my Linux server.
>
> Normally in Linux I would suggest rsync, or tar/gzip/ftp or similar
> solutions
>
> But what would work under Windows? Does Windows have a shell and shell
> tools? I suspect not. And this is not a computer guru anyway.
>
> Anyone have any experience and/or solutions in this area?
>
> TIA
> jalal

Many thanks for all the input from folks around here.

In the end, we decided to create an ftp space. Most of the users are
comfortable with zipping up their Document files and ftp'ing them up to the
server (when they remember to). They will use a naming convention for the
files which includes the date and I'll try and find a way to rotate and
manage the files on the server.

Some confusion over the use of the singular in my description, 'my client' is
a company which includes 6-8 computers, 3 of which are laptops which are not
online all the time, so what would work for one would not work for others. It
also means that a pull solution from the server wouldn't work.

Those machines that are on all/most the time will get some sort of automated
solution, maybe I'll use the DOS shell, maybe something written in VBScript
or possibly make use of the built in backup program.

Thanks again.

jalal

--

GPG fingerprint = 3D45 5509 D380 26A4 523E A9D8 A66A 5F38 CA43 BB0E