Re: [SLE] office layout
  • From: David Herman <mesamoo115@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 09:31:10 -0800
On Sat November 6 2004 6:07 am, Louis Richards wrote:
> David Herman wrote:
> >I would add that Publisher seems to be a particularly hard nut to
> > crack. You might have better luck w/ the Publisher alike programs
> > if you don't want to run win4lin or vmware.
> >
> >Crossover office doesn't support it (and according to them, won't,
> >unless someone wants to throw buckets of money their way to get the
> >work done). As far as I know nobody has gotten m$publisher past
> >startup.
>
> Crossover Office version 2.0.1 and MS Publisher 2002 are running just
> fine here.

I was ready to admit my mistake so I tried in a shell (all on one line)

"/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine" --check --cx-app "C:////Program
Files////Microsoft Office////Office////MSPUB.EXE"

Sure enough Publisher started just fine but as soon as I click a wizard
or exit the wizards to a blank project the program stops reacting to
further user input.

Maybe it has to do with the changes to publisher 2002

Crossover Office 2.1.0, SuSE 9.0, kernel 2.4.166 patched for win4lin
(Previously the same result with SuSE 8.1)

My version of publisher is from Office 2000 small business. That clippy
helper thing is not installed. If I remember right I tried installing
Pub. 3 or 4 times, usually very full custom installs and they all
failed, finally I tried a pretty minimal install of publisher and it
completed without error but the program doesn't do anything.

BTW I do not mean to slam Codeweavers, they provide an excellent product
that performs as advertised.

I'm not particularly fond of Publisher but my wife and daughter like it
alot. Yes the wizards and templates, otherwise they would probably be
just as happy w/ linux programs.

If someone can verify that they have the same version of Publisher
working on SuSE 9.0 w/ crossover office 2.10 then I would like to hear
about it as well as any tips. Thanks

> I mostly use it to view and print documents I receive in this format.
>
> I think I'll start sending stuff back in Scribus format and see if
> they get the hint.

Great plan, probably should send your documents in .sxw or GoBE's .pve
format as well :-)

See ya

--
dh