9.2 is really slow
  • From: Steve <ssivier1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 16:39:57 -0800
Hi,
I've just installed 9.2 on my test machine, a 300MHz PII with 256MB of ram. Given the stats of the machine, linux has always been a bit slow, but it's always been usable for me. With 9.2, however, the performance is pathetic. The install took the better part of 3 days (normally this takes me ~2 hours). Installing the software itself took > 15 hours - something that normally takes ~1 hour. With 9.1, the load while idle was ~0. With 9.2, it's between 4 and 6. I installed Suse the same way I've done it for the last 4 years and nothing really special about how I install it (as usual, I choose the "no acpi" option, but that and using the same partition setup is about the only special things I do). Since I haven't heard anybody else complain about this yet, I assume that there's something special about my situation (can't say what, though). Is there some option I missed in the install (something like, don't insert a "while (1);" loop in the kernel :)? Or some way to find out what is sucking up the cpu time (top lists X as the only process getting any significant cpu time).

Thanks,
Steve