Re: [SLE] Booting Problem
  • From: Jerome Lyles <susemail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 18:59:16 -1000
On Monday 08 November 2004 04:48 pm, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 November 2004 03:24, Jerome Lyles wrote:
> > fi
> > echo $FSCK_RETURN
> >
> > Returns nothing except an empty line. Is this a case where FSCK actually
> > returns nothing. If it is, it's a case that wasn't anticipated and could
> > be the source of the problem.
> > Jerome
>
> Hmmm, and you're sure you didn't misspell it as FCSK or something?
>
> I don't see anything obvious that would cause the variable to lose its
> value. Try, in place of that echo, pasting in this
>
> [ $FSCK_RETURN -eq 4 ] && echo "fatal errors left uncorrected"
> [ $FSCK_RETURN -eq 6 ] && echo "fixable errors left uncorrected"
> [ $FSCK_RETURN -eq 8 ] && echo "operational error"
> [ $FSCK_RETURN -eq 16 ] && echo "syntax error"
>

> Note the spaces in the brackets, they need to be there, it's [<space>$ and
> 4<space>], and so on

No output again. Hard to believe? Welcome to my world.
Here's the relevant part of the boot.rootfsck file:

elif test $FSCK_RETURN -gt 3; then
# if appropriate, switch bootsplash to verbose
# mode to make text messages visible.
test -f /proc/splash && echo "verbose" > /proc/splash
# Stop blogd since we reboot after sulogin
test -x /sbin/blogd && killproc -QUIT /sbin/blogd
if test -x /etc/init.d/kbd ; then
/etc/init.d/kbd start
fi
[ $FSCK_RETURN -eq 4 ] && echo "fatal errors left
uncorrected"
[ $FSCK_RETURN -eq 6 ] && echo "fixable errors left
uncorrected"
[ $FSCK_RETURN -eq 8 ] && echo "operational error"
[ $FSCK_RETURN -eq 16 ] && echo "syntax error"

echo $FSCK_RETURN
echo "fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. The root"
echo "file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount it"
echo "read-write do:"
echo
echo " bash# mount -n -o remount,rw /"
echo
echo "Attention: Only CONTROL-D will reboot the system in this"
echo "maintanance mode. shutdown or reboot will not work."
echo $FSCK_RETURN
PS1="(repair filesystem) # "
export PS1
/sbin/sulogin /dev/console