Re: [SLE] Missing space on my hard drive, 100% used and deleting files gives back no space.
  • From: "S. Bulterman" <s_bulterman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:05:42 +0100
Colin Murphy wrote:
On Friday 12 November 2004 20:00, Colin Murphy wrote:

This is with Suse 9.1 on a Reiser filesystem.

Unfortunately I allowed my /tmp directory to fill up and even though I am
deleting files I don't seem to be getting any space back.

Thanks to all who have posted so far on this subject. I am still scratching my head though.

I have been able to delete files from the /tmp directory and get SOME free space back but I still don't think the figures add up. I can't be exactly sure with /tmp because I've lost count and it is on the same filesystem as my root directories, so I went to something more basic.

I said that some of the other filesystems were showing the same problem, one of them being my /data1 directory where I keep Stuff(tm). This is on its own 10GB Reiser partition and also got filled to capacity, according to Konqueror at least, where the Properties tab currently shows "Free disk space: 2.8 GB out of 10.0GB (72% used)" even though there are no files there according to Konqueror and confirmed with
colin@linux:/data1> du /data1
0 /data1

If this is said before then sorry. Just jumped in.
You may wane try this on the command line: du -h --max-depth=1
This will give de disk usage in MB and GB. and only for the directories from where you started it.

When I started posting on this subject /data1 did have files in it and was reported, by Konqueror, as being "100% full with 65MB free" (sic). I copied all of the files from /data1 to elsewhere and found there were only 2.1GB of files anyway.

Anyone any clues as to what is causing this?

How do I find out about free space on a partition from the command line? I fear that relying on Konqueror may be adding an extra level of complication. I just want to look at /data1 so I thought

colin@linux:/data1> df /data1

This works only for mounted filesystems.
So was data1 mounted??

would do the trick but it still gives me details of the root partition:-

/dev/hda2 10490104 7526516 2963588 72% /

Thanks again for your time.

Hope this Helps,

Stefan.