Re: [SLE] {OT - anti - flame - post} Re: [SLE] SuSE9.2 64-Bit installation problems
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:20:59 -0500
* Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx> [11-17-04 18:55]:
> I think you're right.... but it would be great if someone would come
> up with a short document (so it can be sent by email) that would
> describe the best way for a newbie to ask a question. Maybe that's all
> that's lacking.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
by Eric Steven Raymond

> I know I get pretty pee'd when someone asks an out-of-the-blue question
> without providing a lick of information and then expects an answer.
> Maybe by replying (politely) to such questions with a paragraph or two
> of 'instructions on asking a question' would save a lot of flames and
> also some RTFM answers. And I think the newbies would appreciate it.

perhaps we can present the above url as an answer to deserving postings
and /dev/null posts containing the url. That would keep our mailboxes
from overflowing <grin>.

> And we'll get Pat S. to add a paragraph about not top-posting and
> triming quotes and trimming sigs and...... (only partly kidding.)

I can handle it. Don't believe that I have ever been accused of having
_thin_ skin <grin>.

btw: The present version of the article indicated above is three years
old and the present revision 3.1. I do not know the article's age, but
I do know that it was available in 1997.

HOG # US1244711 Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/photos

< Previous Next >