Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.2 and future packaging
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:20:19 -0500
Randall R Schulz wrote:

There are other issues with cable Internet, too. Many service providers disallow servers on cable links and static addressing can be pretty hard to come by. My DSL provider has no such restrictions and offers me up to 8 statically assigned IP addresses at this service level. Both servers and static addressing are necessary for me, since this is a home office and my business partner must be able to access servers at my site.

I have dhcp, from my cable ISP. However, it changes so seldom, it's
virtually static. I also have a host name, which being derived from my
MAC addresses, never changes. So, even if my IP changes, I can still
access my network.