Re: [SLE] kdeinit running more then once
  • From: Johan Nielsen <yep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 03:49:48 +0200
Lørdag den 2. oktober 2004 23:11 skrev Leendert Meyer:
> On Saturday 02 October 2004 22:41, Johan Nielsen wrote:
> > Lørdag den 2. oktober 2004 17:12 skrev Randall R Schulz:
> > > Joe,

> > > The way to see how they relate is to use "pstree." Here's an excerpt
> > > from its output on my system:
> > >
> > > ├─kdeinit─┬─artsd
> > > │ ├─gaim
> > > │ ├─java
> > > │ ├─5*[kdeinit]
> > > │ ├─kdeinit─┬─3*[bash]
> > > │ │ ├─bash───pstree
> > > │ │ └─su───bash
> > > │ └─mozilla───run-mozilla.sh───mozilla-bin
> > > ├─11*[kdeinit]
> > >
> > > It looks like at the moment I have 17 of them running! So what. They're
> > > presumably doing their thing to make my KDE experience a wonderful one,
> > > as it always is.
> >
> > Well then it would be nice if they were represented/associated more
> > logically to whatever process they belong/"assist".
> >
> > I tried killing a few of them standing there all by themself and that
> > didn't take anything down/stop running appz (at least not what I
> > noticed).
> >
> > Of course you can't kill them all but quite a lot of them actually.
>
> Man, you really need to learn to STFW. ;)

I do but didn't get down to this one as things work but I was just curious
about the question

> Killing a kdeinit process is like shooting oneself in the foot.

Well I can see that I killed some kdeinits related to Kontact aka kmail
mainly ;-)

Damn - Kmail / Kontact shouldn't have all those sockets "hanging around" all
the time

> Did a bit of STFW for you, and:
>
> Here is a thread of 3 messages about kdeinit. Although their KDE is running
> on FreeBSD, it is still KDE and still the same issue. And I say 'issue',
> not 'problem'. ;P
>
> http://freebsd.kde.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2003-March/004359.html

Very informative link - TY

> Click a few times on the link right behind 'Next message' to read all 3
> messages.
>
> I'm quite sure that more STFW will gain you more understanding.

Sure - but we can't all know everything that includes a proper searchphrase
for this issue.