Re: [SLE] Replacing Red Hat with SuSE.
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:27:38 +0200
On Sunday 03 October 2004 23:14, John N. Alegre wrote:
> My main concerns with laying SuSE 9.1 Pro over the Red Hat distribution
> that is on there are two....
>
> First overwriting of the MBR and losing GRUB and there by not being able to
> boot Windoze, and second getting the XFree86 to come up. Once I get there
> configuring the rest of SuSE is no problem. I did have had the problem of
> the MBR overwrite happen on an old Red Hat 6.x install. I don't remember
> how I fixed it but I remember it was hell

As long as you don't repartition you should be fine. SuSE should give you a
boot screen with both OSes available.

If you do repartition, remember to read this first. It is vital

http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/fhassel_windows_not_booting91.html

About X, I can't say for sure. But you could try running the Live 9.1 CD
first, to see if your gfx card is properly supported without installing
anything. If red hat can handle it there shouldn't be a problem.