Re: [SLE] Believe this ?? OT
  • From: "Dana J. Laude" <kc9aae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:36:34 -0600
On Thursday 14 October 2004 14:05, Jeffrey Laramie wrote:
> > This is a good read, since I was just about to go out and get
> > myself a 200GB one ... what would be the best choice of hard
> > drives, besides WD ?
>
> I prefer Seagate also, so it's unanimous!

Here's something I'll add to this hard drive issue... and trust
me, something you don't want to go through personally.

I've gone through 2 IBM 15GB hd's, 3 WD 40GB and now I'm
currently running with a 10GB Maxtor and a 60GB WD, and
has all happened within 7 month period. The IBM drives
had a known production problem, don't really know about
the WD drives. Personally, I think debian had a kill issue
in at least 2 of the WD drives. (one was outright doa, since
you couldn't even partition the drive...)

Being a former partner of a computer store, I can tell you
that this happens with almost *all* hardware to some
extent. I've had Linksys/3com/Intel nics die, maxtor,
western digital and seagate hard drives die, etc.

But I must admit that the quality of hardware is going
downhill for the most part, compared to years back.
I still have a really old 512MB seagate and a maxtor
1GB drive chugging along on a system running as a
firewall. (try that Microsoft!) ;) (it's a old gateway
100Mhz Pentium btw)

In a nutshell, buyer beware.

Dana