Re: [SLE] Asus A8V motherboard and SuSE 9.1
  • From: Greg Macek <it-guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:27:20 -0500
On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 02:31 +0200, Johan Nielsen wrote:
> Mandag den 25. oktober 2004 22:37 skrev Greg Macek:

> > > Following things it looks like they've been working hard on SATA support
> > > since the release of 9.1. My guestimate is that all the usual suspects
> > > (controller cards from Promise/3ware should be supported now - anyone
> > > correct me if I'm wrong). As for SATA in general I have 2 WD 250GB SATA
> > > drives on my ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe and they perform very well.
> > >
> > > Next step is actually to get a 939 (AMD 64) based board too to endulge in
> > > some numbercrunching too.
> > >
> > > Have a look at:
> > > http://www.anandtech.com/mb/
> > > http://www.anandtech.com/linux/
> > >
> > > check the motherboardsection here: http://www.linuxhardware.org
> > >

> > > I'm currently
> >
> > Well, good news on the time trials. For the work our code needs to do
> > (word search in large bodies of text using Perl), it look less than 1/2
> > the time it did before! Amazing. Only if I had the money for Opteron or
> > an FX chip. :) Everything seems to be working great so far as well. Go
> > 64-bit.
> >
> > Greg
>

> Could I ask you to drop a note on your
>
> Motherboard (939 socket)
> CPU
> RAM
>
> And level of SuSE 9.1 support
>
> A note on to what extend ethtoo/mii-tool works with that combination
>
> I'm also currently looking into som nice BIG PSU like this:
>
> Watch for MN5 / MN6
> http://www.amtrade.com/pc_power/switching_power_supplies.htm#12
>
> Have any of you seen this or similar in Europe
>
> Will be needed for a little storage and enough juice to provide for som 10 to
> 15 HD's (guestimate atm).
>
> Any experience on SATA controllers to complete the perfect
> test/dev/numbercruncher ;-)
>

> TIA
>
> Johan

Well, obviously we're using a A8V MB (based on the thread),
Athlon64/3500+ CPU, 1GB (2x512MB) Corsair RAM, WD 120GB IDE HD, Enermax
420W (I think) PSU, MSI MX4000 vid card... the rest was built on board.
Ethernet works fine, video is fine after installing the nvidia drivers
(no tests on this - we don't care about video speed).

We just have the standard support that comes with purchasing the distro.
Nothing special. Hope this info helps.