Re: [SLE] confirming logrotate has occured
  • From: "Bob S." <usr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 01:28:55 -0400
On Tuesday 31 August 2004 01:48 pm, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> the files you place in /etc/logrotate.d/ are expected by the system
> to be files for logrotate/logdigest to act on. Open several of the
> files and look at their contents. Read the man page for an
> explanation and examples of use of the different parameters.
>
> > I got a fortune of wtmp.gz files that go way back to Jan 2004.

OK, jumping in on this thread, I also have a gazillion files
in /var/log/ such as localmessage, mail, messages , and various XF86
files, some going back to early 2003. Now, none of these are listed in
the /etc/logrotate.d/ directory. Can I just add these categories to
that directory by making new files?

> edit the maxage paramter in /etc/logrotat.d/wtmp, it is in daz.
>
> .... Each of the files in /etc/logrotate.d/ should contain the
> 'maxage' parameter. If not, they will never be deleted.

Bob S.