Re: [SLE] confirming logrotate has occured
  • From: C Hamel <yogich@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 07:50:25 -0500
On Wednesday 01 September 2004 02:16, Scott Jones wrote:

> > OK, jumping in on this thread, I also have a gazillion files
> > in /var/log/ such as localmessage, mail, messages , and various XF86
> > files, some going back to early 2003. Now, none of these are listed
> > in the /etc/logrotate.d/ directory. Can I just add these categories
> > to that directory by making new files?
>
> Sure. That's what I do on my mailserver. With all the domains we host,
> qmail, qmail-scanner and clamav tend to be generous with the logs after
> getting hammered with spam and viruses. I have to rotate those, as
> well as the firewall logs, hourly.
>
> The files in /etc/logrotate.d/ are good working examples, and don't
> forget that "man logrotate" is your friend.
>
> --
> Homepage http://scott.exti.net
> XFce desktop environment http://www.xfce.org
> Goodies for the XFce desktop http://xfce-goodies.berlios.de
> GPG public key ID: 811B00AB
I'm just a little puzzled. The 'logrotate.conf' file has the following:
# see "man logrotate" for details
# rotate log files weekly
weekly

# keep 4 weeks worth of backlogs
rotate 4
...and the /etc/logrotate.d/syslog contains:
/var/log/warn /var/log/messages /var/log/allmessages /var/log/localmessages /
var/log/firewall {
compress
dateext
maxage 365
rotate 99
missingok
notifempty
size +4096k
create 640 root root
sharedscripts
postrotate
/etc/init.d/syslog reload
endscript
...which seems to be contradictory. I have done 'man logrotate' & the
'maxage' seems nowhere in the docs. Some time back, I finally put '--force'
in the logrotate script so that they'd be archived daily. Still, I have had
to manually mv logs out of /var/log because they're not rotating at all.
--
..."Yogi" CH
Namasté Yoga Studio