Re: [SLE] Red Carpet [WAS: Error with gtkhtml]
  • From: Erik Bågfors <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 13:43:35 +0200
On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 10:24, James Ogley wrote:
> > I suppose that I ought to have changed the subject, but then James may not
> > have read it!
>
> I'll do the honours then ;)
>
> > James, this is a genuine question. I do not want to start an Apt/Red-carpet
> > war, but I (and others, probably), would be interested in your reasons for
> > being so against (D)Red-Carpet.
>
> Well, I'll just mention I don't use Synaptic, apt from the command line
> is much quicker.
>
> Okay, my beef with RC is a once-burnt situation. I openly admit this is
> irrational, and RC has changed A LOT since this happened. This is going
> back maybe four years now, but I installed RC, and set it up to keep my
> system up to date, and it basically hosed it. Off the top of my head I
> forget what it did, but I ended up having to reinstall.

Just remember that this is years ago and might very well have been the
packaging as well as red-carpet itself.

I've hosed my debian installation using apt more than once. It's never
been apt's fault but rather the packages I installed. But in your case
it might as well have been red-carpet, I'm sure it had lot's of bugs
back then :)

I've used apt for like 8 years now and like it alot. But for the average
user I'd recommend red-carpet. In fact, on my SuSE box I only have
red-carpet. Works great.

Regards,
Erik

< Previous Next >