Re: [SLE] Novell kit 9.1 running 2.4 not 2.6??
  • From: David T-G <davidtg-suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 05:37:33 -0400
Vince, at al --

...and then Vince Negri said...
%
% > So why does the thing boot into 2.4.21, apparently from my hda2 9.0
% slice??
%
% Because your lilo.conf is pointing to
% /boot/vmlinuz for both 9.0 and 9.1.

Eh? *duh*

%
% The /boot referred to in lilo.conf is *not* the /boot folder
% that is in place when the system is booted, but the /boot
% folder that is in place *at the moment lilo is run.* So that
% /boot/vmlinuz gets parsed as the same kernel in all cases

Aha! Oh! I get it now! How very interesting.

%
% Did you, perhaps, get a YOU kernel update for 9.0 recently? With
% the lilo.conf you have, that would end up with all suse's booting
% the same kernel.

I did, and YOU tells me that another is on the way.

%
% To avoid a total descent into madness :) you either need to
% a) switch to GRUB or

Bleah. Never. Ugh. Well, OK, maybe not 'never', but 'only when I can
do the equivalent of "lilo -R suse91" will I try it again'. I very
definitely did not like it.

% b) fix your lilo.conf.

Easy enough and much better for my situation.

%
% For b), you would need to edit your fstab so that your 9.0 install
% mounted hda1 (read-only) at some directory, say
% /mnt/suse91, and then your lilo.conf would end with
%
% image = /mnt/suse91/boot/vmlinuz
% label = suse91
% initrd = /mnt/suse91/boot/initrd
% ..etc..

Got ya. And this never bit me before because I usually run one SuSE and
a few non-Linuxes and, in the case when I do run multiple Linuxes, I
generally have them all mounted :-)

%
%
% Then re-running lilo from suse9.0 would fix everything.
% I hope this makes sense!

It does; it makes perfect sense (especially now that I've learned
something new), and I'm quite grateful. I'll have to try it out later
but I sure look forward to doing so!

%
% However, you haven't said what bootloader setup you asked
% for when installing 9.1. Did you tell yast not to install a
% bootloader, because you intended all along to boot via
% your original lilo setup?

Yep; that's exactly right. This is just a temporary install in swap; I
didn't want to switch boot loader partitions as well.

Thanks again & HAND

:-D
--
David T-G