Re: [SLE] Odd (to me) addressing question
  • From: Danny Sauer <suse-linux-e.suselists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:55:26 -0500
Randall wrote regarding 'Re: [SLE] Odd (to me) addressing question' on Tue, Sep 21 at 16:54:
> Danny,
>
> On Tuesday 21 September 2004 14:42, Danny Sauer wrote:
> >
> > Picture a whole computer lab full of those keyboards. Then picture
> > the students using them being 1) computer illiterate and 2) at a
> > community college. Now picture the nightmare for the admin running
> > those labs. "Sometimes the 'k' key types an 'l'", etc...
>
> How realistic is the picture of a community college lab full of "computer
> illiterate" students?
>
> Have I come unstuck in time again? I was sure it was 2004...

Well, I left 5 years ago, so this was > 5 years ago. Also, this was the
nursing/biology/physical education wing. In general, I'm not big on
stereotypes - but you don't exactly get the cream of the crop in those
programs at a community college, in general. The staff wasn't much better,
for that matter. :)

Trust me. They were pretty consistently computer illiterate. Actively
malicious people don't do the kinds of things I saw in those labs. Now,
running the *nix lab wasn't too bad, since the wannabe hax0rs at the
community college usually aren't very good. But those PE people. OMG.
"Is it plugged in?" *sigh*

--Danny