Re: [SLE] re: i dont understand it
  • From: Ben <willcu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:22:42 -0700
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:58:44 +0200, Chadley Wilson <chadley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 04:19, Ben wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:16:20 -0700, Ben <willcu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I dont get why tar wont compile when all other things do, For instance
> i run Internet Explorer on SuSE + Word + Access + Outlook + MS
> games like S.O.F + a heap of RPM's but tar files wont compile.
> If i dont have c/c++ things installed then how can i run all the
> software i do?
> Forgive me if the answer is obvious!
> But i dont get why only tar files wont compile?
>
> Yours...Ben
>
> PS
> I caint find an option for C/C++ Compiler and Tools???
The software that already runs is already compiled, otherwise it wont run,
what you are trying to do is (normally painless, but appears to be very
painfull right now) is compile the contents of a tarball, which contains
source code.
First of all send me the link to the package you are trying to install,
I also need to know what distro of suse you are running, i.e downloaded
personal edition, 9.1 pro SLE etc...
Is your kernel custom or std.
then run :

[root@chadlap: root]# gcc - -version
gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)

[root@chadlap: root]# c++ --version
c++ (GCC) 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)

Make sure your are running as root (su -)
If it is a driver you must extract the sources to
the /usr/src/linux-2.6.4-52/drivers/the/type/of/driver directory and compile
it there.
Read the INSTALL or README files that accompany the source , they usually tell
you there if you need a specific version of c++ or gcc to compile.

let me know
Thanks

ps try searching for yast -- software for c++ gcc make, and see if they are
infact installed.

Yes GCC and C++ software is all installed and there?
so then all should compile should it not?
But no such luck, It seems to say that there is no
C++ compiler installed but there is?