Re: [SLE] re: i dont understand it
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:35:29 +0200
On Tuesday 28 September 2004 23:05, Sid Boyce wrote:
> Leendert Meyer wrote:
> > On Wednesday 29 September 2004 04:22, Ben wrote:

> >>I use a prog called CrossOver its pretty good!. I needed to use Internet
> >>Explorer for a course in Network+ ComPTIA so i installed CrossOver which
> >>allowed me to install IE and i installed other MS products just to see if
> >>i could (i dont use them as linux apps i find much better) It just
> >> humoured me to run MS progs on linux (but the games where a good thing)
> >> Its allowed me
> >>to un-install MS completely.
> >
> > A tip:
> >
> > There is a site somewhere that can show how web pages look in various
> > versions of IE. Sorry, I don't have a pointer (who has??? please post).
> >
> > This is most helpfull to people who don't have IE at all.
>
> On linuxtoday.com, there is a rant on browsers by one of the kernel
> maintainers, Robin Miller on sites not accepting browsers other than IE,
> one site he pointed to, I was able to view with firefox. In konqueror,
> you can setup it up to say it is e.g IE of various levels, but there was
> one site a long time ago wouldn't allow you to display it if it didn't
> have browser+operating system details.
> I have crossover installed, but I don't go near IE to do anything, it
> being a trojan and I wouldn't want my bank account details intercepted
> for the purposes of fraud. I've not tried mozilla on crossover office.

I run a small website where most of the visitors use IE, so I simply *have* to
know how something looks like in IE. I had a few nice tweaks that just looked
horrible in IE (e.g. transparent .png graphics). It was quite frustrating
that I had to revert changes that looked well in Opera, Firefox and
Konqueror, but not in IE.

The only thing I can do is to be sure my site looks well in the weakest (and
unfortunately most abundant) link, aka IE.

I really do hope that Firefox, now already looking more than promising, takes
over the IE share (and not its reputation).

Cheers,

Leen