Re: [SLE] ntp host setting
  • From: Jim Cunning <jcunning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 07:56:56 -0700 (PDT)
Today at 9:30am, C Hamel wrote:

> On Saturday 07 August 2004 00:37, Jim Cunning wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > The address 127.127.1.0 is indeed correct. If one reads the beginning
> > lines of the default /etc/ntp.conf, there is an explanation:
> >
> <SNIP EXAMPLE>
> > server 127.127.1.0 # local clock (LCL)
> > fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 # LCL is unsynchronized
> >
> > If you want to reference a real ntp server, you must include the IP
> > address of each as indicated in the remainder of the config file (tho'
> > you can also include the dns name):
> >
> > ##
> > ## Outside source of synchronized time
> > ##
> > ## server xx.xx.xx.xx # IP address of server
> > server tock.cs.unlv.edu #### for example
> >
> > Jim Cunning
> Again, I read [somewhere <SIGH>] that it should be the loopback
> device ...consequently, the confusion. Aren't examples just that... examples
> (If I followed the example for my network address it might not resemble what
> I am using)?
>
> As long as my clock is being kept up to date I suppose I really shouldn't
> care, but I would like to know the 'whys & wherefores' so I can educate
> myself a little more.

I surmise from your earlier responses to others on the list, you are not
planning to run an ntp server--you are just trying to keep your clock
accurate. If that's the case, you can leave the "server" and "fudge"
entries for 127.127.1.0 alone. They are correct as written, and as Anders
indicates are loopback addresses.

But, you must add either the IP address or FQDN of some outside time
server in /etc/ntp.conf, or you will be synchronizing to yourself (and
thus, running xntpd is pointless). For a list of network time servers and
other information, go to http://www.ntp.org. You also can peruse the
information in the xntp-doc package at /usr/share/doc/packages/xntp-doc if
you have it installed.

Jim