Cable Modem - DHCP
  • From: Martin Love <martin.love@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:21:31 +0200
Hi I'm new to Linux and would really appreciate any help or direction.

Here is the problem I'm having :-

I have SuSe Pro 9.1 installed on a PC with 2 nic. One of the nics is built
into the system board and the other is a 3Com 3C905B-TX.

The Build in nic is attached to a cable modem supplied by Telenet (Belgium)
and has DHCP enabed.

The 3Com is connected to a second PC with a fixed IP address assigned.

Eth0 3Com Fixed IP Address LAN
Eth1 Built-in DHCP WAN (Cable Modem)

When I boot the Linux PC I can't access the internet or email. I checked the
config using "ifconfig" but it did not show the built in nic with DHCP
enabled. I then ran YaST Control Center, Network Devices and disabled DHCP
and then re-enabled DHCP on the built in nic.

I then checked "ifconfig" again and this time everything seemed ok and when I
tried to connect to the internet everything was working fine.

So now everytime I reboot I have to disable and then re-enable the DHCP
setting for the built in nic before I can use the internet or email.

As I said I'm very new to Linux and I hope that the above make sense.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Martin