Re: [SLE] Dual Boot Linux and XP Newbie needs help
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:45:29 -0400
On Wednesday 25 August 2004 08:35 am, Jereme Hancock wrote:
> I am a complete newbie to the Linux world. I have a Dell desktop with
> Windows XP. I would like to set up a dual boot system. I have
> PartitionMagic so I can shrink the XP partition, but I am really not sure
> how to do it. Can someone please walk me through the steps to shrink the XP
> partition and set up the partition for Linux and install Linux. Thanks in
> advance, Jereme

1) Shrink your XP partition. You will need anywhere from 3GB to 9GB left for
linux. (8 would be nice for now)
2) Create 4 new partitions:
a) linux swap - 800mb should be fine
b) /home - 1GB (for your personal stuff. Size as needed)
c) / (root) 6 or 7GB (for a pretty full install)
d) /boot - 23mb for the booting kernel
(format as ext2 and write down the order of the partitions)
3) Start the SuSE install but when it comes to the initial configuration
screen, go through the:
a) Time section and set your timezone and also set the clock to LOCAL time
b) Software - select the software you want, keeping an eye on how full your
root partition becomes.
c) Most important, go into the partitioning section and 'discard' the
current setup. Drill down to where it says 'for experts' (you are one
aren't you?) and click on that.

Here, since you've already set up all of your partitions for SUSE using PM,
you only need to:

1) Tell the setup where to mount each of the partitions you created (such
as /dev/hda7 as /home)
2) Tell the format how to format the partition. (avoid XFS for now since
there is a bug in the install kernel. reiserfs would be good but keep /boot
as ext2)
3) Let'r rip! (the installation)

Others may argue about setting up the partitions and doing the install this
way, but this is the way I do it and it has always worked well.

Any questions?

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 08/25/04 09:33 +
"If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then
programming must be the process of putting them in."