Re: [SLE] useradd/del defaults
  • From: Ken Schneider <suselist@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:30:51 -0400
On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 10:24, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I notice that if I ad users by hand with useradd/userdel in SUSE 9.1, home
> directories are not created. Any idea how to set the default for home
> directories to be made with useradd (as in useradd -m name) and deleted with
> userdel (as in userdel -r name)?
>
> I looked at /etc/default/useradd and found:
> HOME=/home
>
> /usr/sbin/useradd.local talks about adding home, but it (and the manpage)
> doesn't say how.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Kind regards
> Hans du Plooy
> Newington Consulting Services
> hansdp at newingtoncs dot co dot za

>From the man page for useradd...

-m, --create-home
Create home directory for new user account.

>From the man page for userdel...

-r, --remove-home
Remove the whole home directory and the mail spool
of the specified account. Files located in other
directories will have to be searched for and
deleted manually.

Perhaps further reading of the man pages are in order.

--
Ken Schneider
unix user since 1989