Re: [SLE] The trouble converting from win to suse is the names
  • From: Danny Sauer <suse-linux-e.suselists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:18:44 -0500
Johan wrote regarding 'Re: [SLE] The trouble converting from win to suse is the names' on Thu, Aug 26 at 17:34:
> Torsdag den 26. august 2004 23:16 skrev Danny Sauer:
> > Johan wrote regarding 'Re: [SLE] The trouble converting from win to suse is
> the names' on Thu, Aug 26 at 16:00:
> > > I disagree partly.
[...]
> > What part do you disagree with?
> >
> They do know that the info is "around" on the net and install-media, but
> learning takes some effort besides ensuring enough oxygen to stay alive.
>
> Many times things (Howto's/information about linux) get a little to "nerdy".
> 2'ndly a lot misinterprete the community and 3'rdly some even missuse the
> nice people in the community (other linuxusers and SuSE from time to
> time .... but that's another story).

So, learning should be effortless? That'd be great, but what precendent
are we in the community to follow? Can you cite a resource for some other
operating system that goes beyond the initial desktop, but is not nerdy
or otherwise hard to follow? Granted, I'm a big ol' geek, but I've never
seen a system that has more documentation than Linux. I've run a lot of
systems (there's a machine in my basement running each of NeXT Step, Mac
OS 7.6, Windows 98, Windows 2000, SuSE, RedHat, Slackware, NetBSD, SunOS,
and BeOS right now - and I've played with countless others), but none are
nearly as well documented as Linux. Unfortunately, one does have to look
for the docs, but SuSE - for example - comes with a few big friggin' books
when you buy the boxed distro. Those books answer pretty much every
question a home user will find, and most questions a network admin will
come up with. Most of the more complicated questions can probably be
handled by the tech support included with purchase (ever call Microsoft?
it's an awful experience, from what I've heard) or by using supported
hardware.

I dunno. It seems to me that most people's usability complaints boil down
to "this isn't just like windows". It all comes back to Anders' comment
when he said that people need to realize that KDE, for example, is gonna
be different than other systems. Then they have to learn how to get around,
which is pretty easy if they do what "seems right" instead of what "seems
like windows".

I agree that it'd be nice to have information collected a little more
cohesively, but really all anyone needs is the included docs (in PDF on
the FTP version, IIRC), google, and this list. Oh, and some patience +
willingness to learn a *new* system. IMHO, of course, and it does happen
that I'm wrong sometimes. Probably not this time, though. :)

--Danny, staying on-list in the hopes that someone will find a learning
"magic bullet" and post that for all to enjoy ;)