Re: [SLE] Memory problems suse 9.1
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:34:51 -0800
On Thursday 26 August 2004 08:00 pm, nhaas wrote:
> So when does the memory ever get released. It just grows and grows and
> grows. Out of 2 gigs I have 19,124k free and starting on swap 8k used.
> Should I not be alarmed on this?

In a word, NO.
Just because something is swapped out onto the swap partition is
not cause for alarm.

There is no reason to bring something back in from swap until
it is needed again. So a momentary high memory load will
swap out memory used by dormant tasks, and the kernel will
not waste time swapping it back in until needed EVEN IF there
becomes much unused memory.

--
John Andersen