Re: [SLE] MozillaFirefox 0.9.1
  • From: Robert Paulsen <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:28:47 -0500
On Wednesday 30 June 2004 07:19 pm, Mark Crean wrote:
> I don't know whether anyone has found a workaround, but watch out for
> the most recent version of MozillaFirefox from SuSe - 0.9.1.
>
> It says that to get it working you must first fire it up as root. Alas,
> if I try to do that off the console, I get

> Xlib: XDM authorization key matches an existing client!
>
> (firefox-bin:8909): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>
> whether I use su, sux or xhost +localhost.
>
> If I actually log in as root on KDE (not advised), I can start Firefox
> OK. But when I log out and back in again as an ordinary user, then I
> can't start Firefox as an ordinary user, since I now get the same
> message as root used to get above.
>
> I really really really really wish SuSE would test this stuff a bit more
> before putting it on their ftp servers, or post a readme explaining how
> to get round this little circular argument.

Umm -- how could SuSE have tested something that didn't exist?

Anyway there is a workaround that I read about on this list (I think) for 9.0
that worked for me on 9.1:

xhost +
firefox
xhost -

From that point on firefox should start without a fuss. If not, there is
another workaround I read about somewhere but don't remember where -- search
the archives or try google.

--
Robert C. Paulsen, Jr.
robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx