Re: [SLE] MozillaFirefox 0.9.1
  • From: C Hamel <vgm2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:23:10 -0500
On Wednesday 30 June 2004 19:19, Mark Crean wrote:
> I don't know whether anyone has found a workaround, but watch out for
> the most recent version of MozillaFirefox from SuSe - 0.9.1.
> It says that to get it working you must first fire it up as root. Alas,
> if I try to do that off the console, I get
> Xlib: XDM authorization key matches an existing client!
> (firefox-bin:8909): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> whether I use su, sux or xhost +localhost.
> If I actually log in as root on KDE (not advised), I can start Firefox
> OK. But when I log out and back in again as an ordinary user, then I
> can't start Firefox as an ordinary user, since I now get the same
> message as root used to get above.
> I really really really really wish SuSE would test this stuff a bit more
> before putting it on their ftp servers, or post a readme explaining how
> to get round this little circular argument.
> :)
> Fish
I think if you do the following from konsole...
$> sux
[enter pw]
#> [path to]/firefox'll find it loads. The error you are getting indicates it cannot
connect to the x-server, and 'sux' gets you connected.
"The more they over-think the plumbing,
the easier it is to stop up the drain."

< Previous Next >