Re: [SLE] Horrible print quality
  • From: Graham Smith <gqs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 11:30:07 +1000
On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:32, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> 1) I bought it in 1995, before I started with Linux. This printer worked
> in plain Dos. It is similar (compatible) to current models of the same
> series (4300 etc), and I do have some programming information for it
> published years ago.
>
> 2) Before CUPS, it worked much better (SuSE 7.3).
>
> 3) The gimp-print driver prints much better than the foomatic.
What may-be a solution is to setup two printer queues, one for plain text and
the other for photos, using the different drivers.

> 4) This is a bug, has nothing to do on knowing how to send info to the
> printer. It has to do with the internal rendering, previous to
> sending, a big error somewhere.
>
> 5) Only photos are printed wrong, text and other images (not dithered)
> are ok. Very good, in fact.
>

> You really would have to see the page to see what I mean as "horrible".
>
> > That said have you looked at
> > http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-BJC-4000
>
> I think I did many months ago. But the info seemed to me so complicated
> (to build cups and all from scratch) that I fleed in haste.
>
> I'll have another look...

Also have a look at the Canon Forum on linuxprinting.org and see if there are
any solutions posted regarding your problem.
http://www.linuxprinting.org/forums.cgi?group=linuxprinting.canon.general

> > Maybe your best bet is to try out TurboPrint
> > http://www.irseesoft.de/linux/english.html
>
> Ugh.
>
> :-?

At least have a look at this site. Although commercial, the price is not that
high, given the results I have seen using these drivers.

--
Regards,

Graham Smith