Re: [SLE] How do I make a pound sign?
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:28:37 -0400
On Wednesday 07 July 2004 21:49, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 July 2004 16.41, Bill Wisse wrote:

> > > Shift 3 gives you the "#", not the pound sign,
> >
> > Uh, isn't that the international sign for Pound?
>
> No, it is the US sign for Pound
>
> http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutsymbols/hashsymbol?view=uk
>
> > Like the alternative for the Umlaut, for example in in the German
> > language.
>
> alternative for umlaut???

Actually there is an alternative to the umlaut, but it's clumsy and it looks
funny if you're used to reading German. If you don't have any umlauts,
you can put an "e" after the letter that should have the umlaut. You can
recognize that in some German family names in the US, like Jaeger,
Fruehauf, Roentgen, etc.

Now, if only my German was better. . . .

--doug