Re: [SLE] athlon overheating?
  • From: John Pettigrew <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:34:40 +0100
In a previous message, steve-ss <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Could anyone with an AMD give me reasonable working values for the temp1 and
> temp2 sensors? And/or how to monitor the fans correctly? Or must I move to
> Intel?

The CPU temp shouldn't be a problem - if it's a real 2200+. I had an Athlon
1200 that started producing panics at about 55 degrees C, and I suspect that I
was mis-sold an overclocked 900 part. My current 2200+ usually stays at about
42 degrees (5 degrees over the case temp). If you worry about cooling, take
the side panel off and watch the temp. It *should* improve :-) If stability
also improves, that suggests it might be the temp.

As for the fans - that depends on the sensors installed on your mobo and
whether the fans are connected up properly. TBH, it shouldn't be an issue. If
the fan stops, it's easy enough to tell by looking, and a failing fan usually
becomes very noisy.

John
--
John Pettigrew Headstrong Games