RE: [SLE] Boot time excessive for clean SuSE 9.0 install
  • From: "Larry Johnson KISE" <ljohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:18:10 -0700
Well after looking at the syslog with full debugging turned on, it's clear
that hotplugging is the culprit.

So I disable the four USB 1.1 ports from the motherboard BIOS, and now I get
a 4 minute boot, down from 9 minutes.

So the I disable USB hotplugging with SuSE configuration to avoid my USB 2.0
ports, and now I get a 1 minute boot.

I review the HOTPLUG docs in SuSE 9.0 - practically zilch.

I go to hotplugging at sourceforge,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-hotplug/
and about the time the SuSE scripts were written signed off, there are
threads about all kinds of problems with USB and delays - some from SuSE.
There is a bug reported 25 July 2004 about this same issue. (997624)

This explains the NOHOTPLUG and NOCOLDPLUG options in SuSE 9.1.

So I say that SuSE sold a distribution with a buggy boot scheme, didn't
provide a workable alternative, that they were aware of it, and are
unwilling to acknowledge it. I would love to be wrong about this.

Apparently (unverified) the use of multiple & mixed versions of USB hubs
triggers the problem - standard features of my Gigabyte GA-7VRXP Rev 2.0
motherboard.

There are some indications that the problem also exists in SuSE 9.1 as well
as other distributions that use hotplugging.

I have spent quite a bit of time discovering this unpleasant fact, and I am
very unhappy about it.

Pressure from users (as well as the Linux community) has moved MS to improve
their products and practices, perhaps it could work for SuSE/Novell too.

Larry Johnson, KeepItSimpleEngineering,Inc.