RE: [SLE] Boot time excessive for clean SuSE 9.0 install - SOLVED
  • From: "Larry Johnson KISE" <ljohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:46:34 -0700
Hi All.

I got quite a bit of assistance working on this (none from SuSE), and I want
to thank all of them.

In order to better understand what was happening, I installed the latest
Slackware, Debian and Mandrake distributions. I was also prepared to
install RedHat 9, but didn't need to.

The Mandrake 10.0 distribution provided the solution to all the fundamental
problems plus a few others, to wit.

- Boot time: >9 minutes *to* <90 seconds.

- Scanner: doesn't work except as superuser *to* works fine with normal user
after installation with no additional configuration.

- DualHead display: Requires trial and error with YAST *to* works after
installation with no additional configuration.

- Installation options: None available (to avoid problematic boot processes)
*to* available (e.g. disable hotplug).

- Vendor support: Promised, needed and non-existent *to* not needed.

- USB: problematic *to* no problems.

- KDE: Works OK *to* improved screen presentation e.g. more suitable
configuration from install.

- Speed: Slower than Win2K *to* Faster than Win2K and much faster than SuSE
9.0

- Kernel: 2.4. optimized for AMD *to* 2.6. not optimized.

- Ease of installation: Very long with moderate difficulty *to* fast and
easy.

- Graphic installation: Pretty but sometimes confusing *to* simple and
straightforward.

- Printer: Worked after additional configuration *to* worked after
installation.

- GRUB: Restore MBR fails *to* Restore MBR works.

- VGA boot screen: flips back and forth from graphic to text, text hard to
read *to* easy to read (except it goes so fast) text mode.

- User group support: Great *to* too soon to tell but looks good.

I'm sure there are many features of SuSE that are better than Mandrake, but
here I'm focusing on the problems I had with SuSE that basically made it
unusable for me as a desktop.

So I'm sticking with Mandrake for a desktop - & I'm happy as a clam with
SuSE for my servers.

I expect to pay for what I use, I have now purchased 5 distributions of
SuSE. The last three were to achieve a useable desktop replacement for
Windows, and the last three were also a waste of time and money for me.

Larry Johnson, KeepItSimpleEngineering, Inc.